Campervan Insurance

Campervan insurance in the UK: Which one is right for you?

QMT Websites Articles Leave a Comment

Choosing the correct campervan insurance in the UK can be a difficult task for many people. Here we take a look at some of the main types of covers you can choose from and look into a few tricks that can lower your premiums.

As one of the most expensive things you’ll ever own, choosing the right kind of insurance for your motorhome should be high on your to-do list. Campervan insurance is not only a legal requirement, but as your home while you’re out on the road, this expensive piece of kit could prove costly if something goes wrong and you’re not correctly covered.

Types of Campervan insurance in the UK

There are normally three levels of campervan insurance; Third Party Only, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Comprehensive. If you are a member of a motorhome group or club you could be eligible for a discount, similarly if you opt for low mileage and install an up to date security system.

Third Party Only

According to law this is the minimum level of insurance you’re required to take out on your campervan insurance in the UK. It covers damage to property, as well as liability for injury to others.

Third Party, Fire and Theft

This insurance covers all of the above as well as fire damage, theft of your campervan and damage caused by theft.


This is the most extensive level of campervan insurance in the UK covering all of the above, in addition to at-fault damages. Most comprehensive policies will offer different things, so it’s best to shop around.

What is not included

Always look out for the exclusions in your insurance policy. They will vary from company to company, but in general they will be used if the campervan:

• Is being used as a permanent residence or premises for any kind of business activity.

• Suffers electrical or mechanical breakdown.

• Experiences damage from gradual wear and tear.

• Undergoes theft of its contents where no forced entry has occurred.

Campervan insurance in the UK normally only insures campervans and motorhomes which have been built professionally and shies away from self-builds and DIY conversions. Campervan types normally covered include:


• A Class

• Campervan

• Micro

• Coachbuilt

•American RV

• Compact

How to get premium discounts?

In addition to the obvious no-claims bonus and keeping your campervan secure by adding things such as an alarm, tracking device or immobiliser, you can reduce the price of your premium if you:

• Install a reversing senor or camera

• Don’t use much mileage

• Ensure the campervan is put in secure storage when not in use • Are a member of a campervan group or owner’s club

Outside of the UK

Make sure you are covered should you decide to head abroad. Many policies cover the European Union as standard, however you may not receive the same level of protection as you would in the UK. The same applies if you’re heading further afield. Many policies will not cover you should you decide to leave Europe. If you don’t have the correct insurance, then you could very well be breaking the law.

Previous Post Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *