HGV Insurance Questions

Our HGV team are constantly getting the best deals for our customers for both individual trucks and fleets. We now have some of the lowest policy prices in the UK.
Here are a few commonly asked questions about our policies.

Have more questions? Call us on 01227 285540

HGV Insurance, also known as haulage and own goods insurance, has been specifically designed for the needs of any businesses that use HGVs or other forms of haulage vehicles. We tailor our policies to suit your specific requirements and take into account, among other things, the size of your business, the type of goods that you carry, the number of people you require to drive your vehicles.

In addition to the main policy we can also offer a number of additional cover options such as public liability insurance, employer’s liability insurance, goods in transit cover and office cover for your money and equipment, to ensure you have all the cover you need. All of these can be wrapped up into a combined business policy.

  • CMR stands for “Convention relative au contrat de transport international de marchandises par route” which translates as “Convention on the Contract for the International Carriage of Goods by Road”. It was devised by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe and was brought into UK law by the Carriage of Goods by Road Act 1965.
  • It applies to every contract for the carriage of goods by road in vehicles for reward, when the collection and delivery locations are situated in two different countries, of which at least one is a contracting party to CMR.
  • The current contracting countries are: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan.
  • There are some exceptions including furniture removal and the movement of your own goods. If you’re carrying out work for another transport company then they’ll probably consider that you have to have ‘CMR Insurance’ in order to protect their interests.
  • We offer Goods in Transit Insurance that meets your liabilities under CMR.
  • Moving Dangerous Goods By Road is governed by international regulations and is strictly policed. The UK and most other European countries are signed up to the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR).
  • The purpose of ADR is to ensure that dangerous goods – including clinical and other dangerous waste – being carried by road are able to cross international borders freely, as long as goods, vehicles and drivers comply with its provisions.
  • ADR sets out the requirements for classifying, packaging, labeling and certifying dangerous goods and those carrying dangerous goods must have an ADR training certificate/licence.
  • If you transport dangerous goods below certain volume or weight thresholds, many parts of ADR may not apply, or only apply in a modified form. Quote Me Today can offer cover for hauliers and couriers with an ADR licence.
Most heavy goods vehicles are used solely for haulage or delivery purposes but we understand that not everyone’s requirements are the same. At Quote Me Today we will find you the most competitive premium based on your use and can often include the use of the vehicle for pleasure purposes if you require it.
You will need an operators’ licence to carry goods connected with any business or trade, if your vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes, however certain exemptions apply. For further information regarding exemptions you can visit the Gov.uk website here.
At Quote Me Today we work alongside a variety of insurers who may be able to offer you a suitable level of cover which includes carriage of hazardous goods or coverage for visiting hazardous sites. For further information please contact one of our knowledgeable advisors on 01227 285 540.
We will cover a very wide range of occupations from builder’s merchant, scaffolders, construction engineers and plant operators to farmers, green grocers, tree surgeons and horticulturalists. It does not matter whether you are a company director, sole trader or haulage contractor, we offer cover for most business needs. Please give one of our advisers a call to get a quick and easy quote on 01227 285 540.
Your indemnity level is the level of cover that you have chosen. This may be split down by category i.e. you may have one level of cover for your own cars and a higher level of cover for those of your customers. For full information on what level of cover you have please refer to your policy letter and your Statement of Insurance in your policy pack.
Our prices are among the lowest on the market; however, you may occasionally find a cheaper price elsewhere. If you find a cheaper price please make sure you are comparing like with like, including the total excess and any limits to payments made in the event of claim.

You may also be able to reduce your price by increasing your policy excess or changing your cover levels. We will happily discuss your cheaper quote with you to make sure you are getting the right cover.

Quote Me Today specialise in giving the best, most suitable policies rather than a “one size fits all” approach.

It is usual to have a compulsory excess, set by your insurer, but you may also have requested an additional voluntary excess.
The details of these can be found in your policy letter and your Statement of Insurance in your policy pack.
Motor Trade – Your Motor Trade No Claims Bonus will usually need to be earned whilst operating as a Motor Trader, in the UK, in your name, within the last 12 months and not used to insure your private car.

  • We can sometimes offer policies where you can use an NCB earned on a private or company car policy, but this will need to be discussed with the insurance advisor when you call.

Van – Your No Claims Bonus needs to have been earned on a policy with the same type of use,, within the last 12 months, in the UK and in your name.

HGV – Your No Claims Bonus needs to have been earned on a commercial policy, driving any size HGV, within the last 12 months, in the UK and in your name.

We typically have No Claims Bonus introductory discounts of 50% or 55%. In addition to this we have a number of risk related discounts available to us that could give you a further discount.
Yes you can protect your No Claims Bonus. This is usually subject to an additional premium.

Please bear in mind though, that unlike with private car policies, if you change insurer and have made a claim, your new insurer may step back your No Claims Bonus entitlement.

  • Motor Trade – Yes. We also offer the ability to use your No Claims Bonus accrued on a private car for your business if you are setting up in the Motor Trade business for the first time. This gives you the helping hand you need when starting out in a new venture. Ask the advisor for more details when you give us a call on 01227 285 540, selecting option 1.
  • Van – Yes, call us on 01227 285 540, selecting option 1, for a quote.
  • HGV – Yes, call us on 01227 285 540, selecting option 1, for a quote.
Regardless of how your No Claims Bonus has been earned, we will usually require proof, in the form of your renewal invite or a confirmation letter from your previous insurer(s), containing:

  • Insurer’s name
  • Expiry date
  • Policy number
  • Your name
  • Number of years NCB
  • Type of policy the NCB has been earned on.

This can be sent by email to [email protected] or by post to Administration Team, Quote Me Today, 2nd Floor, 5-10 Sparrow Way, Lakesview Business Park, Hersden, Kent CT3 4JH.

We will not be able to return any proof of No Claims Discount sent in the post, so it is advisable to keep a copy for your own records.

Of course. You can add named drivers to the policy, such as those you employ, your business partner or your spouse. In fact, it is often a requirement that anyone that you would like to be able to drive your Motor Trade vehicles are specified on the policy, as ‘Any Driver’ policies are no longer offered by most insurers due to the risk they pose.